Re: Upgrading side by side in Gentoo

От Holger Hoffstaette
Тема Re: Upgrading side by side in Gentoo
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:47:15 -0500, Guy Rouillier wrote:

> To answer your question directly, you won't find a prepackaged solution to
> running simultaneous version of PG (or any other software package) on
> Gentoo.  That's not how Gentoo is designed to be used.  Having said that,

You are contradicting yourself:

> I remember reading about slots, which may allow what you are trying to do.
>  But I've never investigated.

Slots are *exactly* the mechanism that enables multiple versions of the
same package to be installed in parallel and it works fantastically well.
However since not every package is easily slottable (such as the old and
therefore unslotted postgres 8.1.x) it is not an option in Andrus' case,
and also wouldn't solve the problem of upgrading the DB itself, which is
purely a PostgreSQL problem on any platform.

And FYI Gentoo supports binary packages just fine; in fact that's how you
are supposed to install packages on larger installations.

-h

Сообщение: Re: still gin index creation takes forever
Сообщение: Re: still gin index creation takes forever