how to store a text file in a database

От AlexH
Тема how to store a text file in a database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi:

I'm creating a postgre database to keep tract of all the job applications
I'm sending out. Here is a rough idea of my table so far, minus the data
types

CREATE TABLE application (
    url
    website_job_id
    date_applied_to date;
    city;
    state;
    company;
    contact_info;
    cv_text;
);

I have different cover letter for each application, and was wondering what
would be the best way to store this in the database.

in my database table, can cv_text refer to a link that points to the file
containing my CV ?

or should it be stored in cv_text directly as a varchar ? If so, howdo I
copy it there using SQL there ?

Obviously, I'm very newbie at databases. I'm just using the
character-based client on linux ... so I'm using SQL for all of this.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Alex

--
For email, replace ZERO with the number zero.