Re: poor performance of db?

От PFC
Тема Re: poor performance of db?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

> Every time I tested an idea to speed it up, I got exactly the same
> compared to a Dual Opteron 246, 1Gb RAM, 70Gb WD Raptor SATA server.
> Now, why a dual opteron machine can't perform any faster than a lowly
> 1800+ athlon in numerous tests is completely beyond me ... increased
> memory and RAID 0 disc configurations so far have not resulted in any
> significant performance gain in the opteron server.

    How many rows does the query return ?

    Maybe a lot of time is spent, hidden in the PHP libraries, converting the
rows returned by psql into PHP objects.

    You should try that :

    EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT your query
    -> time is T1

    CREATE TABLE cache AS SELECT your query
    EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM cache
    -> time is T2 (probably very small)

    Now in your PHP script replace SELECT your query by SELECT * FROM cache.
How much does the final page time changes ? This will tell you the time
spend in the postgres engine, not in data transmission and PHPing. It will
tell wat you can gain optimizing the query.

Сообщение: Re: Upgrading from from 7.4.2 to 8.0
Сообщение: Re: Upgrading from from 7.4.2 to 8.0