Re: UTF-8 question.

От Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud
Тема Re: UTF-8 question.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
=> show client_encoding ;
  client_encoding
-----------------
  UNICODE
(1 ligne)
=> select char_length('a'), bit_length('a');
  char_length | bit_length
-------------+------------
            1 |          8
(1 ligne)

# that's an accented "e"
=> select char_length('é'), bit_length('é'); ;
  char_length | bit_length
            1 |         16        <= two bytes
(1 ligne)

    pg does not simply store utf-8 data, it also understands it if you set
your encoding correctly (ie. initdb to UNICODE and client_encoding too so
that data doesn't get mangled on the way to the db). It will refuse to eat
illegal UTF8 characters too.
    Once you try unicode, all the codepage mess starts to look old...