Re: Using oids

От Malcolm Warren
Тема Re: Using oids
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 11:28:01 +0200, Bo Lorentsen <bl@netgroup.dk> wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 11:10, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>
>> Yes. It is correct. As of 7.3.x and onwards oids are optional at table
>> creation times. They default to be available for new objects but that is
>> for backwards compatibility I believe. In future, they would default to
>> be not available for a particular object(hopefully). Right now you need
>> to explicitly specify no oids while creating tables etc.

The point about oids is that they are so useful that many people have used
them extensively, me included.
And I did so on the basis of a book written by Bruce Mowjian, one of
Postgresql's major contributors.

If we are saying that there will always be backwards compatibility then I
can sleep at night.
If we are saying that at some point oids will exist no more then all of a
sudden I am going to have to re-write an awful lot of code.

Malcolm Warren