Re: Possible multiprocess lock/unlock-loop problem in Postgresql 9.2

От Yngve N. Pettersen
Тема Re: Possible multiprocess lock/unlock-loop problem in Postgresql 9.2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi again,

Sorry about the delay, but an unexpected 3 week trip combined with not
being
able to fix the system's router whose configuration had become corrupted
before I left, meant that I could not perform any testing until this week,
after the router had been fixed and reinstalled.

I just did a test using expanded logging of queries and duration, and
actually saw this happen with just 4 (four) processes, not the 10 I have
seen before.

The relevant parts of the log, as well as an EXPLAIN and table info dump
are attached in a zipfile; the large parts consisting of 6000 to-be-updated
IDs in the UPDATE commands have been removed for clarity (the sequences
were not overlapping, with a numerical distance of at least 80000 from
the other updates, and each sequence was within a range of 7500 IDs)

Background: Immediately before this operation the queue had been set up
with the
command

     INSERT INTO probedata2_probequeue (part_of_run_id, server_id, state)
     SELECT '334' AS part_of_run_id, server_id, E'I' AS state FROM
probedata2_preparedqueueitem
     WHERE part_of_queue_id = '2'

followed by a COMMIT, a process taking ~15 minutes to copy a 23 million
entry table into the queue. After this the total number of entries in the
target table is 70 million, distributed across 3 runs.

Some SELECT count and ANALYZE operations have probably also been performed
after the initialization operation, before processes

Shortly afterward (within a couple of minutes), four processes initiated
the SELECT and UPDATE
sequence I outlined earlier, each operation was performed between 1 and 10
seconds after one of the others, 20 seconds from start to last command
started.

SELECT id FROM probedata2_probequeue
WHERE state = E'I'  AND part_of_run_id = 334
LIMIT 6000 OFFSET 85103

UPDATE probedata2_probequeue SET "state"=E'S'
WHERE "state" = E'I'  AND id IN ( .....)
RETURNING id

The SELECT operations took 21-122ms to complete, while the UPDATEs took
1093000-1120000 ms (~18 minutes, to complete). During this time the
processes were running at 100% CPU. With more processes involved earlier I
recall seeing even longer execution times for the UPDATEs, before I killed
the processes (this is the first time I have seen this kind of situation
be resolved without killing the processes).

For reference, once these 4 commands had completed (the system is set up
to wait until it sees task completed messages from the first processes
that were started, before starting new ones), the next sequence of these
commands took 122ms and 107ms, respectively, and the second took 50ms and
108ms.

Any suggestions for where to investigate further?

I am considering setting up a small example to see if I can reproduce, but
have not had time to do so yet.

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: client that supports editing views
Сообщение: Re: client that supports editing views