Re: Select for update with offset interferes with concurrent transactions

От Yngve N. Pettersen (Developer Opera Software ASA)
Тема Re: Select for update with offset interferes with concurrent transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello David,

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 01:36:15 +0100, David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> If random sampling is desirable would the following construct limit
> locking
> only to the sampled rows?
>
> SELECT id
> FROM tasktable
> WHERE id IN (SELECT random_id_sample())
> FOR UPDATE
>
> The "random_id_sample" would supply a configurable group of IDs off of
> tasktable which the FOR UPDATE would then lock
>
> I guess the issue remains that "random_id_sample()" would still end up
> blocking if any of the rows it wants to return are already locked.

My immediate guess is that this would work, and I might explore it once I
get my new fullscale test-db up and running

> I too am using this basic protocol of maintaining state info within the
> database and sending every query against it.  As I ponder this more it
> really seems as if moving some of this logic into the application layer
> would possibly make more sense in Yngve's situation (or at least
> something
> to consider).  Continue to use the database as a persistence mechanism
> but
> code the "dispatching" of tasks in the application layer and then as each
> task is dispatched you simply do an "UPDATE table SET state = 'dispatch'
> WHERE id = 'ID'" and a similar UPDATE when the task is returned
> completed.
> This somewhat presumes you still only ever hand off one task at a time.
> If
> you are indeed handing off tasks in batches then it would make sense to
> have
> a "batch" table and operate at the batch level instead of individual
> tasks -
> assigning tasks to a given batch via some standard mechanism.

If I read you correctly that is what my system does (dispatch = started,
marked by the node that is to do the task).

The reason I am allocating tasks in batches is that there are so many
processes involved that if they pick one at a time they would block each
other. With the block allocation they only need to fetch the tasks once,
meaning that there are not as many requests to the queue at a time, on
average.

> Either way if you truly want true parallel processing then you need to
> create the parallel paths that can operate without clobbering each other
> and
> thus each path needs to have its own pool of tasks since as soon as you
> have

That is what the offset part of the query was supposed to achieve.

At the moment I have worked around the problem by breaking the task list
into 2000 subgroups, and each process picks one at random. That limits the
number of processes that get in each others way, and the measured speed is
now 4-5 times what I saw on Monday, and back in the old range of
performance. However, it is a hack I had hoped to avoid (and I might get
rid of it with the above suggestion)

> a shared resource the only true way to make sure it is only allocated
> once
> is to serialize access to it.  An alternative method would be to allow
> multiple dispatches but have a "write-once" method that is called and
> sets
> an immutable handler_id and then when the processing begins only the
> handler
> with the matching id would be able allow to perform the actual
> processing.

This requires the handlers to have a unique ID, which my system has not
needed so far.

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen