Re: Question of using COPY on a table with triggers

От: Pierre C
Тема: Re: Question of using COPY on a table with triggers
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Question of using COPY on a table with triggers  ("Benjamin Krajmalnik", )
 Re: Question of using COPY on a table with triggers  ("Pierre C", )
  Re: Question of using COPY on a table with triggers  ("Benjamin Krajmalnik", )
   Re: Question of using COPY on a table with triggers  (Tom Lane, )

> Essentially, we insert a set of columns into a table, and each row fires
> a trigger function which calls a very large stored procedure

For inserting lots of rows, COPY is much faster than INSERT because it
parses data (a lot) faster and is more "data-stream-friendly". However the
actual inserting into the tbale and trigger-calling has to be done for
both.

If the trigger is a "very large stored procedure" it is very likely that
executing it will take a lot more time than parsing & executing the
INSERT. So, using COPY instead of INSERT will not gain you anything.