Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache

От Pierre C
Тема Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> Well I guess I'd prefer a per-transaction setting, allowing to bypass
> WAL logging and checkpointing. Forcing the backend to care itself for
> writing the data I'm not sure is a good thing, but if you say so.

Well if the transaction touches a system catalog it better be WAL-logged...

A per-table (or per-index) setting makes more sense IMHO. For instance "on
recovery, truncate this table" (this was mentioned before).
Another option would be "make the table data safe, but on recovery,
destroy and rebuild this index" : because on a not so large, often updated
table, with often updated indexes, it may not take long to rebuild the
indexes, but all those wal-logged index updates do add some overhead.