Re: PG-related ACM Article: "The Pathologies of Big Data"

От: Pierre Frédéric Caillaud
Тема: Re: PG-related ACM Article: "The Pathologies of Big Data"
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

PG-related ACM Article: "The Pathologies of Big Data"  (Josh Kupershmidt, )
 Re: PG-related ACM Article: "The Pathologies of Big Data"  (Greg Stark, )
 Re: PG-related ACM Article: "The Pathologies of Big Data"  (Scott Marlowe, )
  Re: PG-related ACM Article: "The Pathologies of Big Data"  (Scott Marlowe, )
   Re: PG-related ACM Article: "The Pathologies of Big Data"  (Scott Carey, )
    Re: PG-related ACM Article: "The Pathologies of Big Data"  (Scott Marlowe, )
     Re: PG-related ACM Article: "The Pathologies of Big Data"  (Pierre Frédéric Caillaud<>, )

>> I don't see how on any recent hardware, random access to RAM is slower
>> than
>> sequential from disk.  RAM access, random or not, is measured in
>> GB/sec...
>
> I don't think anybody's arguing that.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=5

These guys mention about 50 ns memory latency ; this would translate into
20 million memory "seeks" per second, which is in the same ballpark as the
numbers given by the article...

If you count 10GB/s bandwidth, 50 ns is the time to fetch 500 bytes.