Re: Inserting 8MB bytea: just 25% of disk perf used?

От Pierre Frédéric Caillaud
Тема Re: Inserting 8MB bytea: just 25% of disk perf used?
Дата
Re: Inserting 8MB bytea: just 25% of disk perf used?  ("fkater@googlemail.com" <fkater@googlemail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:28:07 +0100, fkater@googlemail.com
<fkater@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Pierre Frédéric Caillaud:
>
>> > 4 Core CPU 3 Ghz, WinXP, 1 TB SATA disk.
>>
>>     Big CPU and slow disk...
>>
>>     You should add another disk just for the WAL -- disks are pretty cheap
>> these days.
>>     Writing the WAL on a second disk is the first thing to do on a
>> configuration like yours, if you are limited by writes.
>>     It also reduces the fsync lag a lot since the disk is only doing WAL.
>
> Good idea -- where can I set the path to WAL?

    At install, or use a symlink (they exist on windows too !...)

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1901405/postgresql-wal-on-windows

    I've no idea of the other needed NTFS tweaks, like if there is a
noatime/nodiratime ?...

Сообщение: Re: New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice? (v2)
Сообщение: Re: New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice? (v2)