Re: optimizing postgres

От PFC
Тема Re: optimizing postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> The parsing has turned out to be pretty intense. It takes about 10-20
> minutes for any project. When we are parsing data, it really slows
> down the site's  response. I tested serving static webpages from
> apache, endless loops in php , but the choke point seems to be doing
> any other query on postgres when constructing a php page during
> parsing.

    Do you do lots of INSERTs without explicitly using transactions ?
    You also need to run EXPLAIN ANALYZE on your most frequent queries.
    It is very possible the slowdown is just from a forgotten index.

> As an example, the original designer specified separate tables for
> each project. Since they were all the same structure, I suggested
> combining them into a single table with a project_id column, but he
> said it would take too long to query. I was suspicious, but I went
> with his design anyway.

    From the small size of the dataset I don't see a justification for this...

> It turned out he was right for our current set up. When I needed to
> empty the project table to re-parse data, doing a cascading delete
> could take up to 10 minutes! I cut re-parsing time in half by just
> dropping the table and creating a new one. Which was an okay thing to
> do, since the table only belonged to one project anyway. But I hate to
> think how long it would have taken to do a delete, cascading to child
> tables, if all the project data was in a single table.

    That's probably because you forgot to create an index on the referenced
column. They are not created automatically.

> Since I'm not an expert in Postgres database design, I'm assuming I've
> done something sub-optimal. Are there some common techniques for
> tuning postgres performance? Do we need beefier hardware?
>
> Or is it a problem with how PHP or apache pools connections to the
> database?

    It depends on a lot of stuff, but the first thing is to run EXPLAIN
ANALYZE on your queries and post the results here.