Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?

От PFC
Тема Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 04:26:05 +0200, Alex Turner <armtuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone who has tried x86-64 linux knows what a royal pain in the ass it
> is.   They didn't do anything sensible, like just make the whole OS 64
> bit,
> no, they had to split it up, and put 64-bit libs in a new directory
> /lib64.
> This means that a great many applications don't know to check in there
> for
> libs, and don't compile pleasantly, php is one among them.  I forget what
> others, it's been awhile now.  Of course if you actualy want to use more
> than 4gig RAM in a pleasant way, it's pretty much essential.
>
> Alex.

    Decent distros do this for you :

$ ll /usr | grep lib
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root    5 jan 20 09:55 lib -> lib64
drwxr-xr-x   10 root root 1,8K avr 19 16:16 lib32
drwxr-xr-x   92 root root  77K jun 10 15:48 lib64

    Also, on gentoo, everything "just works" in 64-bit mode and the packages
compile normally... I don't see a problem...