Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres

От PFC
Тема Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

> Please pardon my ignorance, but from whatever I had heard, mysql was
> supposedly always faster than postgres !!!! Thats why I was so surprised
> !!

    I heard a lot of this too, so much it seems common wisdom that postgres
is slow... well maybe some old version was, but it's getting better at
every release, and the 8.0 really delivers... I get the feeling that the
PG team is really working and delivering improvements every few months,
compare this to MySQL 5 which has been in beta for as long as I can
remember.
    Also, yes, definitely mysql is faster when doing simple selects like
SELECT * FROM table WHERE id=constant, or on updates with few users, but
once you start digging... it can get a thousand times slower on some joins
just because the optimizer is dumb... and then suddenly 0.2 ms for MySQL
versus 0.3 ms for postgres on a simple query doesn't seem that attractive
when it's 2 ms on postgres versus 2 seconds on mysql for a not so
complicated one like pulling the first N rows from a join ordered by...
    PG is considered slower than mysql also because many people don't use
persistent connections, and connecting postgres is a lot slower than
connecting MySQL... But well, persistent connections are easy to use and
mandatory for performance on any database anyway so I don't understand why
the fuss.