Re: [JDBC] Postgres 10 partitioned tables

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Re: [JDBC] Postgres 10 partitioned tables
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Thomas Kellerer schrieb am 13.05.2017 um 13:09:
> But I think the bigger is: what do do with the partitions
> themselves?
>
> Technically they are tables, but I think it would make sense to hide
> them and let frontend tools deal with displaying partitions belonging
> to a table (this is e.g. how Oracle does it).
>
> However, psql displays them as regular tables just like with the
> "old" inheritance partitions, so that would probably cause some
> confusion if getTables() did not return those tables.

Turns out that this is being discussed for psql as well:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/6d0e4eb7-c2a9-c4cd-f9bc-1a1722f878d2%40catalyst.net.nz#6d0e4eb7-c2a9-c4cd-f9bc-1a1722f878d2@catalyst.net.nz

Including a suggestion (patch) display partitions with a different type in the \d output.

If that patch gets accepted/committed, maybe the driver should be adjusted to also return "PARTITION" as the table type
insteadof TABLE.

That might however, break applications that know how to deal with TABLEs but have no notion that a PARTITION can be
treatedas that as well.

Thomas