Re: Trigger based logging alternative to table_log

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Re: Trigger based logging alternative to table_log
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jeff Janes schrieb am 27.03.2017 um 19:07:
> I have some code which uses table_log
> (http://pgfoundry.org/projects/tablelog/) to keep a log of changes to
> selected tables.  I don't use the restore part, just the logging
> part.
>
> It creates a new table for each table being logged, with several
> additional columns, and adds triggers to insert rows in the new table
> for changes in the original.
>
> The problem is that table_log hasn't been maintained in nearly 10
> years, and pgfoundry itself seems to have one foot in the grave and
> one on a banana peel.
>
> There are several other systems out there which store the data in
> hstore or json, which I would probably use if doing this from
> scratch.  But I'd rather preserve the existing log tables than either
> throw away that data, or port it over to a new format.
>
> Is there any better-maintained code out there which would be
> compatible with the existing schema used by table_log?

Logical replication maybe?

I don't know which programming language you are using, but the JDBC driver has a nice example:

https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/head/replication.html

The upside to a trigger based solution is, that it's faster.
The downside is, that the replication "consumer" has to be running to ensure the logging