Re: From TODO, XML?

От fche@redhat.com (Frank Ch. Eigler)
Тема Re: From TODO, XML?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
markw wrote:

: [...]  Actually I have been thinking about a couple projects I have
: done. Vendors like to think XML is a way to distribute databases.

I would find it very helpful to see a table of what sorts of XML
functionality each major vendor supports.

: So a parser that can scan a DTD and make a usable create table (...)
: line would be very helpful. [...]

Hmm, but hierarchically structured documents such as XML don't map
well to a relational model.  The former tend to be recursive (e.g.,
have more levels of containment than the one or two that might be
mappable to tables and columns.)

: During a database export, a SQL table could be used to create a DTD.
: [...]

This mapping (relational model -> XML) is more straightforward.

- FChE