Re: Is "DISTINCT" making a diffence in: SELECT [DISTINCT] ... EXCEPT

От Erik Wienhold
Тема Re: Is "DISTINCT" making a diffence in: SELECT [DISTINCT] ... EXCEPT
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2023-11-15 12:12 +0100, Dimitrios Apostolou wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2023, Erik Wienhold wrote:
>
> > On 2023-11-15 10:57 +0100, Dimitrios Apostolou wrote:
> > > SELECT [DISTINCT] ... EXCEPT ...
> > >
> > > In this query I get the same results regardless of including DISTINCT or
> > > not. But I get different query plans, I get an extra HashAggregate node
> > > in the case of SELECT DISTINCT. Any idea why?
> >
> > As Tom Lane recently wrote[1] EXCEPT is not optimized and will operate
> > on the subqueries which are planned independently.
> >
> > [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2664450.1698799927@sss.pgh.pa.us
>
> Heh, as he wrote to me even. :-) I just wanted to make sure that this is
> indeed a missing optimisation of the planner, and that the queries are
> effectively the same. Thank you for clarifying.
>
> As mentioned, the docs don't make it clear if the SELECT DISTINCT part is
> implied or not, only the EXCEPT DISTINCT part is clearly on by default.

SELECT ALL is the default as spelled out in [1].  DISTINCT as the
default for UNION/EXCEPT/INTERSECT makes sense because those are set
operators.  I guess SELECT ALL is the default because SQL allows
duplicate rows (contrary to the relation model) and the user should
instead be explicit about wanting distinct rows which requires
additional computation.

But when combining subqueries with the default UNION/EXCEPT/INTERSECT
you effectively get SELECT DISTINCT ... UNION SELECT DISTINCT ... when
it comes to the result.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-select.html#SQL-DISTINCT

--
Erik

Сообщение: Re: Is "DISTINCT" making a diffence in: SELECT [DISTINCT] ... EXCEPT
Сообщение: Re: Is "DISTINCT" making a diffence in: SELECT [DISTINCT] ... EXCEPT