Re: VACUUM process running for a long time

От raghavendra t
Тема Re: VACUUM process running for a long time
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi

> > You might consider partitioning this table by date, either by day or by
> > week, and instead of deleting old rows, drop entire old partitions
>
> this is not really good workaround...

As a First choice, This is a very good workaround for your present situation.

As a second choice, Setting the maintenance_work_mem will give a performance boost but we can only increase the memory upto 2GB. This parameter Sets the limit for the amount that autovacuum, manual vacuum, bulk index build and other maintenance routines are permitted to use. Setting it to a moderately high value will increase the efficiency of vacuum and other operations.

But i go with first choice..

Regards
Raghavendra

> > You might consider partitioning this table by date, either by day or by
> > week, and instead of deleting old rows, drop entire old partitions
>
> this is not really good workaround...

Actually it's a very good workaround, that a lot of people use for exactly
this purpose. It's a lot less disk I/O than delete+vacuum even when you're
not experiencing bloat.