Re: Design notes for BufMgrLock rewrite

От Sailesh Krishnamurthy
Тема Re: Design notes for BufMgrLock rewrite
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
   Tom> and changing the buf_table hash table.  The only common   Tom> operation that needs exclusive lock is reading
ina page that   Tom> was not in shared buffers already, which will require at   Tom> least a kernel call and usually a
waitfor I/O, so it will be   Tom> slow anyway.

Why not a separate lock per bucket chain in the hash table in addition
to the system-wide LWLock ? It's not so much that such an operation will be
slow anyway but that such a slow operation will unnecessarily block
other operations.

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh

От: "John Hansen"
Сообщение: Schema name of function
От: Richard Huxton
Сообщение: Re: Dealing with network-dead clients