Re: Why hash indexes suck

От Sailesh Krishnamurthy
Тема Re: Why hash indexes suck
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
   Tom> This means that if you have only one or a few items per   Tom> bucket, the information density is awful, and
youlose big on   Tom> I/O requirements compared to a btree index.  On the other   Tom> hand, if you have enough items
perbucket to make the storage   Tom> density competitive, you will be doing linear searches   Tom> through dozens if
nothundreds of items that are all in the   Tom> same bucket, and you lose on CPU time (compared to btree   Tom> which
cando binary search to find an item within a page).

This is probably a crazy idea, but is it possible to organize the data
in a page of a hash bucket as a binary tree ? Then you wouldn't lose
wrt CPU time at least.

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh

От: David Garamond
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: I/O support for composite types