Fwd: Re: Add relcreated (timestamp) column to pg_class catalog to record the time an object was created

От melvin6925
Тема Fwd: Re: Add relcreated (timestamp) column to pg_class catalog to record the time an object was created
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 6, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
-------- Original message --------
From: "David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>
Date: 4/20/2016 16:13 (GMT-05:00)
To: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Add relcreated (timestamp) column to pg_class catalog to record the time an object was created

try replying to the list....

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:
To Tom:
"it *sounds* trivial, until you start thinking about backup/restore/replication situation"

That is BS. It is trivial.
In backup/restore, there is no need to record the create date, as a new create date is only needed if a table is dropped, otherwise if it exists on restore it is a data restore only situation. If it is to create a new database, then it is perfectly fine to use the new creation time. As for replication, then it is a straightforward duplication of create time.

To David:
"The burden seems to rest with you, not others.  I'll leave it at that since everything else has already been said elsewhere.
I'll add that failing to point out a previous discussion you were involved with is inconsiderate to others reading these lists. "

That is also a poor argument. My initial request was years ago and there has never been a valid argument as to why  this cannot be done. Please see my response to Tom Lane.
Further to my point:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4442323/how-to-find-out-when-a-particular-table-was-created-in-oracle
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1171019/sql-server-table-creation-date-query
both show proof that this has been implemented in those databases.

So instead of replying back with "this has already been discussed and cannot be done", I respectfully request that I get the courtesy of a _detailed explanation_ of why this is appears so hard. It would also be nice if you allowed a couple of days for other users to comment before so rapidly dismissing it. Especially since we just went through a very length discussion on code of conduct.