Re: pg_dump & blobs - editable dump?

От Pavel.Janik@linux.cz (Pavel Janík ml.)
Тема Re: pg_dump & blobs - editable dump?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
[This is a multi-reply, CCs and -general removed.]
  From: Peter Mount <petermount@it.maidstone.gov.uk>  Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:58:50 +0100

Hi,
  > Why not have it using something like tar, and the first file being  > stored in ascii?

some filesystems do not allow you to have files bigger then 2G :-( I do not
think that one file (even gzipped tar file) is good.

  From: Peter Mount <petermount@it.maidstone.gov.uk>  Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:32:10 +0100
  > I don't know why you would want them as separate files - just think what  > would happen to directory search
times!!

No problem, you can use one index file and hashes in it so files are then
stored as:
  AA/AA/AA/00  AA/AA/AA/01

See how squid (http://www.squid-proxy.org/) does his job here. No problem,
I think. I really prefer this solution over one big file. You can easily
swap files with other databases, you can even create md5sum of md5sums of
each file so you can have a multi-md5sum of your database (you can be
really sure that your backup is OK, etc. :-).
  > That way (depending on the database design), you could handle the sql  > & blobs separately but still have
everythingbacked up.  >   > PS: Backups is formost on my mind at the moment - had an NT one blow  > up in my face on
Mondayand it wasn't nice :-(

No one (I hope) is arguing about the need for backing BLOBs from the DB :-)
--
Pavel Janík ml.
Pavel.Janik@linux.cz

От: "G. Anthony Reina"
Сообщение: Installing the man pages
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Template matching, a different perspective