Re: ["Stephen C. Tweedie" ] Re: O_DSYNC flag for open

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: ["Stephen C. Tweedie" ] Re: O_DSYNC flag for open
Дата
Re: ["Stephen C. Tweedie" ] Re: O_DSYNC flag for open  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Doug McNaught <doug@wireboard.com> forwards:
> >> 2.4's O_SYNC actually does a fdatasync internally.  This is also the
> >> default behaviour of HPUX, which requires you to set a sysctl variable
> >> if you want O_SYNC to flush timestamp changes to disk.
>
> Well, that guy might know all about Linux, but he doesn't know anything
> about HPUX (at least not any version I've ever run).  O_SYNC is
> distinctly different from O_DSYNC around here.

Y'know, I figured that might be the case.  ;)  He's a well-respected
Linux filesystem hacker, so I trust him on the Linux stuff.

So are we still thinking about preallocating log files as a
performance hack?  It does seem that using preallocated files along
with O_DATASYNC will eliminate pretty much all metadata writes under
Linux in future...

[NOT suggesting we try to add anything to 7.1, I'm eagerly awaiting RC1]

-Doug

Сообщение: RE: Re[4]: Allowing WAL fsync to be done via O_SYNC
Сообщение: Re: Re[4]: Allowing WAL fsync to be done via O_SYNC