Re: Postgresql <--> webservices?

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: Postgresql <--> webservices?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when philippe.lang@attiksystem.ch ("Philippe Lang") wrote:
> Does anyone have experience in interfacing a Postgresql database
> (tables? plpgsql functions? perl functions?) with the outside world
> through webservices? (XML-RPC, SOAP, UDDI, WSDL...)

Yeah, I did some of this using the Perl SOAP module.

The robust way involves getting Apache involved so that you've got
something that starts the services 'on demand,' as well as a
connection pool manager.  Perl's weaker on the WSDL side of things, as
that is something typically autogenerated by a language compiler,
whilst Perl is pretty dynamic and way too weakly typed; if you want
WSDL, Java is probably the way to go...

Contrary to how it gets billed, this is pretty heavyweight stuff,
because you have a pretty thick layer of XML encoding on top of the
data.
--
"cbbrowne","@","acm.org"
http://linuxfinances.info/info/soap.html