Re: Can't login/createdb

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: Can't login/createdb
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Joe Koenig <joe@jwebmedia.com> writes:

> I installed postgres and started it up as the post-installation-notes
> file says to do. It starts up just fine, but I cannot log into the
> interactive monitor, nor can I create any databases, even as root. I
> checked the pg_hba.conf file and it is set to let all local users log
> in. Whenver I type:
>
> psql
>
> to try and log in, I get FATAL 1:  Database "username" does not exist in
> the system catalog. I've used pgsql before, but never installed it, so I
> assume I missed something stupid, but looking back through the docs I'm
> still missing it. Can anyone help me? Thanks,

What you need to do:

1) Become user 'postgres' (or whatever the postmaster is running
   as)--this is the Postgres superuser.
2) Run "createuser" to create other allowed users.
3) Run "createdb" to create other databases.
4) Use "psql <dbname>" to connect to them.

Make sense?

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863