Re: When to switch to Postgres 8.0?

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: When to switch to Postgres 8.0?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
The world rejoiced as jao@geophile.com wrote:
> Quoting Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 14:17:41 -0500,
>>   jao@geophile.com wrote:
>> > Suppose 8.0 is released in December or January. Is it a sane thing
>> > to put 8.0 in a shipping product within the first two months of its
>> > release? I know that 8.0 is an enormous release, but I'm hoping some
>> > of the old-timers can extrapolate from previous major version
>> > upgrades.
>>
>> Based on what I have seen, I think the risks of odd things happening with
>> this major release is greater than any since 7.1 (which is as far back
>> as I go). You need to consider which features in 8.0 you want that are
>> not in 7.4.6.
>
> I assume I have no choice about the backup writer.
>
> Suppose I don't use any new features. The question is then whether
> I'm likely to be affected by a regression.

The "regressions" that seem most likely fall from the fact that a
great deal of effort has gone in to start supporting Windows(tm)
platforms.

There's _plenty_ of new code there, as well as _plenty_ of code that
changes the way filesystem access is done.

The "savepoint" support is a bit analagous; by adding that, the
handling of transactions changes a fair bit.

In both cases, it would be plausible for last minute fixes to have
unforseen consequences, whether you think you're using the new
features or not.

>> You also need to consider how much testing you will be
>> able to do before the March code freeze.
>
> We'll be doing extensive testing between code freeze and our ship
> date.

Certainly a good move...
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','ntlug.org').