Re: System triggers

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: System triggers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in> writes:

> On Friday 16 May 2003 22:26, Doug McNaught wrote:
> > "Connection startup triggers" might be useful, and there's no good way
> > of doing them outside the database unless you wire it into every
> > client app, which kind of defeats the purpose...
>
> Umm.. As far as I know, if FE-BE protocol provides support for connection
> level triggers and libpq implements it, almost every client access library
> would get them automagically..

I don't see that the FE/BE protocol has anything to do with it.  When
a new backend starts up, it would check pg_trigger for any connection
startup triggers and execute them--the client wouldn't know anything.

Of course, what happens to the output (if any) from those triggers,
given that the client probably doesn't expect it, is an interesting
question...

-Doug