Re: The results of my PostgreSQL/filesystem performance tests

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: The results of my PostgreSQL/filesystem performance tests
Дата
Re: The results of my PostgreSQL/filesystem performance tests
Список pgsql-performance
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, balazs@neusolutions.com ("Balazs Wellisch") wrote:
> Very interesting results. I'd like to command you on your honesty.
> Having started out with the intentions of proving that FreeBSD is faster
> than Linux only to find that the opposite is true must not have been
> rewarding for you. However, these unexpected results serve only to
> reinforce the integrity of your tests.

Well put.

To see a result that the tester didn't really want to see/present does
suggest good things about the tester's honesty.  There was incentive
to hide unfavorable results.

What it still leaves quite open is just what happens when the OS has
more than one disk drive or CPU to play with.  It's not clear what
happens in such cases, whether FreeBSD would catch up, or be "left
further in the dust."  The traditional "propaganda" has been that
there are all sorts of reasons to expect PostgreSQL on FreeBSD to run
a bit faster than on Linux; it is a bit unexpected for the opposite to
seem true.
--
output = reverse("gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/sap.html

Сообщение: Re: The results of my PostgreSQL/filesystem performance tests
Сообщение: Re: The results of my PostgreSQL/filesystem performance