Re: OT moving from MS SQL to PostgreSQL

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: OT moving from MS SQL to PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, stig erikson <stigerikson_nospam_@yahoo.se> wrote:
> Hello.
> i have an slightly off topic question, but i hope that somebody might know.
>
> at the moment we have a database on a MS SQL 7 server.
> This data will be transfered to PostgreSQL 7.4.5 or PostgreSQL 8 (when
> it is released). so far so good.
>
> the question now arises, this current database is used in web
> application made with ASP on IIS5. The idea is to move the database
> and the application to a linux or unix environment. Is there a tool
> that can be used convert ASP pages into PHP (or any other language
> suitable for linux/unix), or should we prepare to rewrite most of the
> code?
>
> Is there a tool, some add-in to apache perhaps that can run ASP code
> on linux/unix, this would help to have the system running while we
> recode the application.
>
> Any thoughts on how such a transfer can be made?

There was a company called Chillisoft that has an ASP processor for
Unix.  They got bought out by Sun:
 <http://wwws.sun.com/software/chilisoft/>

That being said, the tool typically considered the "ASP alternative"
seems to be PHP.

I'd have to colour myself quite conflicted about such...

- Perl gets widely used, and if I'm writing scripts, that what I typically use, despite it reading like line noise.

- PHP strikes me as being a re-creation of Perl, with pretty much all of the problems I'd regard as demerits.

- Python is _way_ nicer to read, but has the demerit that your  application will become a twisty maze of object
classes.

- The alternative _I_ would most like would be to deploy web apps in Lisp, but I never have the "round tuits" to get
intothat very far...

There are painful things about pretty much every answer there, which
is undoubtedly why NONE of these systems (including MSFT/ASP) has been
able to become dominant over any of the others.

Whichever language you consider, look _seriously_ at what
modules/libraries are available for managing templates, as that is the
key to getting web apps to work out well, and if you can get something
that's high-powered, you can cut down on maintenance costs a lot.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','linuxfinances.info').
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spiritual.html