Re: Rewriting pg_upgrade

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: Rewriting pg_upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@libertyrms.info> writes:

> pgman@candle.pha.pa.us (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> > Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> >> FWIW, FreeBSD just removed it (in the 5.x versions). Of course you can
> >> still easily install it from ports.
> >
> > Interesting.  Why would they remove it?
>
> Because it's a REALLY BIG ball of mud to include as a core dependancy?

/agree

Also, it's quite probable that people installing/upgrading PG would
have anything from 5.003 onward.  Knowing what programming constructs
you can use and still be compatible with older versions requires quite
a bit of scholarship.

I know that if I were upgrading PG on, say, a Red Hat 6.2 box and was
forced to upgrade Perl to 5.8.1 as a dependency I'd be swearing pretty
hard...

-Doug