Re: PL/Perl returning multiple rows

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: PL/Perl returning multiple rows
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Quoth jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake"):
> Ben wrote:
>
>>Sorry, I'm coming into this thread late so I must have missed
>>something...  what's wrong with pl/pgsql?
>>
> The fact that it is pl/pgSQL? Seriously though, I think that
> pl/pgSQL is counter intuitive to some people and those of us who are
> coming from say a Perl background are going to be much more
> proficient in using pl/Perl then having to learn YET another
> language.

Perl is certainly more suited to doing wild things with strings
(although I was thinking just yesterday about the notion of PL/Icon
:-), until I recalled that it needs a compilation process that would
make things somewhat inconvenient).

On the other hand, the need to jump through DBD:PgSPI library hoops to
get at functions to do "database stuff" has put off my interest in
doing DB gymnastics in Perl, at least for now.

Different strokes for different languages; not that processing is
_impossible_ on either side, but the things that have 'native
syntactic sugar' in the one language require function calls and extra
work variables in the other.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/x.html