Re: Query to "balance" rows across multiple tables

От Tim Landscheidt
Тема Re: Query to "balance" rows across multiple tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Mike Christensen <mike@kitchenpc.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Here's the catch: I want to DELETE any row (in either table) that has
> zero quantity, since I no longer need this data (plus I have a CHECK
> constraint on this value and require it to be positive anyway)..

> Is there actually a way to do this in a SQL function?  Thanks!

Probably. But I wouldn't take that path: If your function
has a bug, you'll have /no/ record of what went wrong, but
only some numbers that may or may not be correct.

  So I'd rather use a more elaborate table structure where
you can track when you bought/planned to use/used what quan-
tity of items, and then use SUM() & Co. to report what you
own and what you need to buy.

Tim