Re: Pre-allocation of shared memory ...

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: Pre-allocation of shared memory ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > AFAIK the only good way around this problem is to use another OS with a
> > more rational design for handling low-memory situations.  No other Unix
> > does anything remotely as brain-dead as what Linux does.  Or bug your
> > favorite Linux kernel hacker to fix the kernel.
>
> Is there no sysctl way to disable such kills?

The -ac kernel patches from Alan Cox have a sysctl to control memory
overcommit--you can set it to track memory usage and fail allocations
when memory runs out, rather than the random kill behavior.  I'm not
sure whether those have made it into the stock kernel yet, but the
vendor kernels (such as Red Hat's) might have it too.

-Doug