Re: do I need replication or something else?

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: do I need replication or something else?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when caleb@vetstar.com (Caleb Simonyi-Gindele) would write:

>>> I would respectfully disagree that the requirement for two-way
>>> replication indicates a broken design.
>>

>> I agree with your disagreement.  This design is present in lots of
>> non-RDB systems - CVS, IMAP, PDA syncing, etc.  It's clearly more
>> complicated, but can be made to work, and has been many times.  I
>> don't see anything about databases in general, or Postgres
>> specifically, that indicates it's a bad idea.
>>
>> - John D. Burger
>>   MITRE
>>
> Yes, we use it successfully with the SQL Server edition of our
> product. Does anyone know if this is available with Postgre?

There's no such thing as "Postgre," so there's a paucity of features
available for that...

If you're thinking of PostgreSQL, the only system I am aware of that
offers a similar form of "highly asynchronous multi master with
conflict avoidance/resolution" is PeerDirect's replication system.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html