Re: A newbie's opinion - postgres NEEDS a Windows binary!

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: A newbie's opinion - postgres NEEDS a Windows binary!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
cs1spw@bath.ac.uk (Simon Willison) writes:

> This is my first time posting here and I've not lurked that much so
> feel free to lamblast me if I'm out of line - but from what I've seen
> of PostGres one of the biggest barriers to more widespread use is the
> lack of an easy to use windows binary. I'm a PHP/mySQL web developer
> who would love to switch over to using Postgres, but since I do all my
> development under windows (I've got linux installed but due to various
> things I find windows a more productive environment on the desktop)
> I've hit something of a dead end. I tried installing cygwin but failed
> to get it working properly, and there's no way I'm going to shell out
> for a Windows C++ compiler to compile from scratch.

AFAIK Postgres requires Cygwin since it is basically a Unix program.
There has been talk of doing a "real" Windows port but it would be a
lot of work and we're mostly Unix zealots here.  ;)

If you are having trouble getting Cygwin installed you should try the
appropriate mailing list or newsgroup for help.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863