Re: Postgres development model

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: Postgres development model
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Oops! reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net (Reinoud van Leeuwen) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:30:09AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>> > I haven't seen any particular reason why we should adopt another SCM.
>> > Perhaps BitKeeper or SubVersion would be better for our purposes than
>> > CVS, but are they enough better to justify the switchover costs?
>>
>> BitKeeper ist not open source, so it's out of the question for most
>> people.
>
> Why? I understood that using BitKeeper for free for Open Source projects
> is allowed. (but IANAL).
> It is available (on many platforms). It works great. Once you use
> changesets you'll never want to go back to cvs.

Ah, but there's a problem with BK _actually seen in production_ in
that people that work on competing products are not permitted to use
it.
   (d)  Notwithstanding any other terms in this License, this        License is not available to You if You and/or your
      employer develop, produce, sell, and/or resell a        product which contains substantially similar capabil-
  ities of the BitKeeper Software, or, in the reason-        able opinion of BitMover, competes with the BitKeeper
 Software.

I don't think it would be "way out there" to consider that this means
that anyone that contributes to FreeBSD or to Debian Linux (two
systems that include packages for both SubVersion and Arch) is
forbidden to use BitKeeper.

After all, they are involved in "developing/producing" a product that
contains substantially similar capabilities.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','cbbrowne.com').
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/oses.html