Re: MySQL 5 comparison

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: MySQL 5 comparison
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Clinging to sanity, jdavis-pgsql@empires.org (Jeff Davis) mumbled into her beard:
> What caught my eye is the "strict mode". I wonder if they are going
> to start promoting the reporting of errors? Right now MySQL seems to
> have the philosophy that "if the input is wrong, it is better to do
> something than nothing" (e.g. inserting Feb 31st into a date field).
>
> Perhaps they're trying to change that philosophy slowly with this
> strict mode?

You're assuming that there will be some incentive to use this new
mode.

Existing applications that are rife with dependancies on existing
functionality will _break_ if they turn on "strict mode."

And what value is there in fixing them?  That doesn't add new
functionality...

No, I don't see a great deal of value in this, outside of _new_
commercial users that are paying for licenses...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/spreadsheets.html