Re: Lack of use of indexes

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: Lack of use of indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Don Isgitt <djisgitt@soundenergy.com> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I have a question regarding the lack of use of indexes on a table; I
> have included what I hope is all the relevant information. Your help
> is appreciated.

Use "varchar" or "text" instead of "character" for your column types
and it should work.  IIRC, "character" is treated slightly differently
from other text types in the query optimizer, and string constants
default to type "text".

As far as why the integer index isn't being used, I'm not sure.  Does
it use the index if you change the WHERE clase to " section = '14' "?

-Doug