Re: Licensing

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: Licensing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:

> Have you checked SIOD? It _seems_ to have the old BSD licence
> (perhaps because it is not updated since '97 ;)
>
> But it is small and lightweight (and has connectivity to msql,
> oracle, rdb and sybase)

I did look at it (I actually played with it a long time ago), but it
didn't seem to be intended to be used as an extension language,
whereas TinyScheme is (you can have multiple interpreters in a
process, each with its own heap etc).

> SCM which was initially based on it is probably a no-no for GPL, but
> actually I think that most PL's could be considered simple add-ons
> and be distributed in ./contrib where we have historically been more
> liberal concernong "other" licenses.

True, but I'd like to think it's barely conceivable that my work could
go into the mainline code (not that Scheme has that big of an
audience, so it might not be worth it).  ;)

> Guile is probably out for same reasons, plus being fat anyway ;)

Yeah, bloat city.  It's a nice system, but way overkill IMHO for most
extension-language uses.  Not that Perl/Python aren't big too, but
Scheme's supposed to be "small".

Thanks very much for the suggestions!

-Doug
--
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.  --T. J. Jackson, 1863