Re: Why is it not using the other processor?

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: Why is it not using the other processor?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> Linh Luong writes:
>
> > My postgres is running on a dual processor.  But when I run a query and
> > look at TOP and notice only one processor is being used.  And it is
> > being used 100% (assuming only 1 process is active).  Why would it
> > allocate the work to the other processor.
>
> Ask your operating system provider.  PostgreSQL just allocates processes,
> it doesn't decide on what CPU they'll run.

But thre answer to his question is that a single query will use at
most 1 CPU, since each backend is a single process.  Multiple
simultaneous queries will of course use all available CPUs on a
properly-setup system.

-Doug
--
The rain man gave me two cures; he said jump right in,
The first was Texas medicine--the second was just railroad gin,