Re: plpgsql doesn't coerce boolean expressions to boolean

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: plpgsql doesn't coerce boolean expressions to boolean
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>

> >2. Throw an error if the expression doesn't return boolean.
> >

> I'd opt for 2.
> It's quite common that newer compilers will detect more bogus coding
> than older ones. There might be existing functions that break from
> this because they rely on the current "feature", but there are
> probably others that will throw an exception, revealing bad coding
> (and delivering correct results just by chance, I've seen this more
> than once...)

I agree, and option 2 also makes sure that "bad" code will fail
cleanly, rather than possibly changing behavior and causing data
loss/corruption.

I agree with another poster that deprecation in 7.4 and removal in
7.5 might make sense.

-Doug

Сообщение: Re: plpgsql doesn't coerce boolean expressions to boolean
Сообщение: Re: plpgsql doesn't coerce boolean expressions to boolean