Re: 2-phase commit

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: 2-phase commit
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, andrew@libertyrms.info (Andrew Sullivan) transmitted:
> As the 7.4 beta rolls on, I thought now would be a good time to start
> talking about the future.
>
> I have a potential need in the future for distributed transactions
> (XA).  To get that from Postgres, I'd need two-phase commit, I think.
> There is someone working on such a project
> (<http://snaga.org/pgsql/>), but last time it was discussed here, it
> received a rather lukewarm reception (see, e.g., the thread starting
> at
> <http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-06/msg00752.php>).

Interesting/positive news on this front; the XA specification
documents are now all available in PDF form "freely", from the Open
Group, where they used to be fairly pricey.

<http://www.opengroup.org/publications/catalog/tp.htm>

Another notable XA documentation source is here...
<http://www.middleware.net/tuxedo/resources/XA_Documentation.html>

Two interesting implications of XA support would be that there could
be some "congruence of interests" that would arise regarding two
vendors:

- XA is essentially based on the API of BEA Tuxedo.  I'm told they
include a simple database system with Tuxedo, but nothing particularly
wonderful.  (Who thinks of BEA as a DBMS vendor???)  They might have
interest in bundling something better...

- The main Tuxedo reseller that I am aware of is PeopleSoft, who use
it for their "high traffic" clients.  Anyone that has seen news lately
knows that they and Oracle aren't exactly "best pals" these days;
having another DB option could be helpful to them...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "aa454" "freenet.carleton.ca")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/tpmonitor.html