Re: PostgreSQL scaleability question

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: PostgreSQL scaleability question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when mary.y.wang@boeing.com ("Wang, Mary Y") would write:
> I have been using PostgreSQL for my project repository, because it
> is free and easy to use.  My manager is trying to decide if he
> should use a commerical database such as Oracle or PostgreSQL for a
> gaint information repository for the corporate.  He asked me what is
> the scaleability on PostgreSQL.  I don't have the answer.  So far, I
> have been very pleased with PostgreSQL, but I'm only using it for my
> project.
>
> Does anyone have any information on this?  Has anyone done any
> comparsions?

It is very difficult to evaluate such things absent of actually doing
simulations of the kind of load you intend to put on your systems.

When evaluating the performance of complex client/server systems, the
devil truly is in the details.  You can't be certain of what the
actual bottlenecks will be without having a pretty realistic
simulation of the "production" environment.

After all...

 - Your production environment is different from mine.

 - Your application is different from mine.

Those factors prevent it from being particularly useful to pretend
that the results I get are in any way useful for you.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html