Re: Disk acces

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: Disk acces
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Anders R. Sveen" <anderssv@stud.ntnu.no> writes:

> I'm running PostgreSQL 7.0.3 on an Pentium 120 with IDE and 48MB RAM. No
> monster, i know that. But i was wondering if anyone had some performance
> tips?
>
> We're building a new site wich uses the database for alot of it's pages.
> It seems that when a hit occurs you get an eccessive amount of disk
> access. It really slows the site down. Any idea?

Sounds like "add more memory" is the main tip that people will give
you.  May not be possible, I know,

You don't say what language the site is written in but if it's
straight CGI you're paying for a fork/exec per page, plus connecting
to the database every time.  You may want to use PHP or something
similar that runs in the webserver and maintains a DB connection pool.
(I like Enhydra myself but it's way too heavyweight for your
machine).

-Doug