Re: License question

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: License question
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@bayour.com> writes:

> The product (currently) consists of a modified Redhat 7.1 distribution,
> PostgreSQL 7.1.3 (in custom RPM packages) and some proprietary softwares.
>
> I read the license, and saw this paragraph:
>
>         use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
>         documentation for any purpose, without fee, and without
>         a written agreement is hereby granted

This just means you can redistribute PG without paying the copyright
holders or obtaining explicit permission.  You are free to charge for
your redistribution if you wish (the GPL also allows this as long as
source is included).

> We're charging for the SYSTEM (ie, hardware and software combination)
> which contains and have PostgreSQL as a fundamental part of the whole
> system and function.
>
> We're not charging SPECIFICALLY for PostgreSQL, but for a complete, working
> setup... Is this in conformance with the PostgreSQL license...?

Should be (IANAL, of course).  As long as you supply sources for your
Red Hat distribution and derived works from it (in compliance with the
GPL) you should be in good shape from what I know.

-Doug
--
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.  --T. J. Jackson, 1863