Re: [ADMIN] Pseudo-Off-topic-survey: Opinions about future of Postgresql(MySQL)?

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Pseudo-Off-topic-survey: Opinions about future of Postgresql(MySQL)?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Clinging to sanity, sjaveed@gmail.com (Shahbaz Javeed) mumbled into her beard:
> # This message was accidentally sent only to Bruce.  It's pasted here
> for comment from the rest of the list too :)
>
> Folks,
>
> While on the topic of Ingres and open source, I was wondering
> whether there's interest in an effort to port some of the
> enterprise-grade features from Ingres over to Postgres e.g. what
> Enrique mentioned (clustering, load balancing, replication etc).
> I've never dabbled in the internals of postgres before but I'd be
> willing to lend a hand in any way to get those features into
> Postgres.

It's an interesting idea, in general.  There may be some roadblocks.
Notably:

a) Ingres code is not licensed under a BSD license, which probably
makes it unacceptable to include it with PostgreSQL.

b) The implementations of such "interesting things" within the Ingres
"code tree" may need to be modified substantially enough to make them
compatible with other databases as to make it worth starting over.

There may be some interesting ideas to look at; it wouldn't be
surprising if, when "thrown over the wall," there might be little left
:-(.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linuxxian.html