Re: Problem with encode() function

От Manuel Sugawara
Тема Re: Problem with encode() function
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Glenn_Wiens@via-christi.org writes:

> but I still get the error:
>
> ERROR:  Function encode(text, "unknown") does not exist
>         Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given argument
> types
>         You may need to add explicit typecasts
>
> Is there a way I can accomplish this task?

The problem is that there is no cast from varchar to bytea (which is
what encode takes as first argument). Try creating the cast first:

  CREATE CAST (varchar as bytea) WITHOUT FUNCTION;
  SELECT encode(password::bytea, 'base64'::text) FROM texttable;

You may want to drop the cast afterwards.

Regards,
Manuel.