Re: Default autovacuum settings too conservative

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: Default autovacuum settings too conservative
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 04:37:07PM -0500, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
>> I think the default settings should be designed to minimize the impact
>> autovacuum has on the system while preventing the system from ever
>> getting wildly bloated (also protect xid wraparound, but that doesn't
>> have anything to do with the thresholds).
>
> I don't really see the logic behind that. Problems caused by inadequate
> vacuuming seem to be much more prevalent than problems caused by vacuum
> impacting the system. If vacuum impact is a concern I think it more
> reasonable to make the default vacuum_cost_delay non-zero instead.

That's a good point.

I would not be keen, on the other hand, on having the delays terribly
high.

Big tables, if delayed significantly, will take plenty longer to
vacuum, and I always get paranoid about long running transactions :-).
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/postgresql.html