Re: Problem Starting Postgresql after upgrade from SuSE8.1 to SuSE 8.2

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: Problem Starting Postgresql after upgrade from SuSE8.1 to SuSE 8.2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
pawlicki@mailandnews.com (John Pawlicki) writes:

> I upgrade to SuSE 8.2 and it upgraded Postgresql from 7.2 to 7.3.2. I
> use a script file to start Postgresql, this is the contents.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/share/pgsql/data
>

> And now this is what I get:
>
> john@linux:~> ./sql
> FATAL:  The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.2,
> which is not compatible with this version 7.3.2.
> john@linux:~>
>
> My question is, "What to do now to get access to my postgresql data
> files? I can correct this?"

Best thing to do is download the latest 7.2 version (7.2.3?), compile
and install it in a separate location.  Start it up with PGDATA set
to you /usr/share/pgsql/data and use pg_dump to dump out your
databases.  You can then 'initdb' your data area and start up 7.3,
then restore your databases.

Make sure to save off a copy of $PGDATA before you run 'initdb'...

-Doug